COVID-19 has not made life easier for anyone, much less the entertainment industry that has suffered losses in crores. Every industry subsequently connected with the entertainment industry has suffered just as much, if not more. Small malls all across the country have always relied heavily on the traffic of cinematic crowds to turn over the tides of supporting businesses like the Food Courts and Shopping plus Gaming arcades. Adding to the thread of losses suffered this year, we shall be rounding off this year’s biggest cinematic releases that were canceled and could not be shifted to the OTT screens because of the huge production costs involved. We hope to see them on-screen one day!
1. Radhe: The Most Wanted Bhai Starring Salman Khan, Disha Patani, Randeep Hooda, and Jackie Shroff, Radhe was an Eid 2020 release directed by Prabhu Deva. It was based on the hit South Korean film Veteran and is about a policeman hunting down a wealthy man running a criminal syndicate. It is expected to hit the screens on the 21st of May next year.
2. Sooryavanshi The movie is about DCP Sooryavanshi who was the head of the Anti-Terrorism Squad in India. With stars like Akshay Kumar, Katrina Kaif, Ranveer Singh, Ajay Devgan, etc. as the leading crew, the movie is directed by Rohit Shetty. The movie was to release in November 2020 and the new release date is reported to be 24th March.
3. ‘83 : The Film ‘83 is about India’s first World Cup Victory in cricket against West Indies in 1983, with the team being led by Kapil Dev. Directed by Kabir Khan and starring actors like Ranveer Singh, Deepika Padukone Pankaj Tripathi, Boman Irani, and others in roles of the Indian Cricket Team. It was supposed to be released this year but was stuck in the post-production phase which the pandemic delayed further. The movie hits the screens on the 22nd of January now.
4. Laal Singh Chaddha Based on the classic movie Forrest Gump, Laal Singh Chaada is an Amir Khan starring and production film directed by Advait Chandan. The cast ensemble also includes SRK, Kareena Kapoor, Vijay Sethupathi, and others. The film was initial planned to release on Christmas 2020 but is now being delayed a year to Christmas 2021.
5. Brahmastra: Part One of Three
Starring an ensemble of Amitabh Bacchan, Alia Bhatt, and Varun Dhawan, Brahmastra is directed by Ayan Mukherji and produced by Karan Johar. The film was scheduled to release in 2019 itself but got delayed till 2020 and the pandemic has now made things unclear for the film making cast again. The story is part of a trilogy about Lord Shiva discovering the fire within him and the yielding of the weapon Brahmastra.
6. Shamshera Set in 19th century India about the war between Dacoits and the British, this historical action movie is directed by Karan Malhotra starring Ranbir Kapoor, Vaani Kapoor, Sanjay Dutt, Ronit Roy, and others. The film was scheduled for release in January 2020 but some extra patchwork shoots were to be done which delayed the release further. The film is now rumored to release in 2021 but no date is fixed.
Toofan is about a boxer and his personal struggles while reaching the National Competition Levels in India and stars Farhan Akhtar as the boxer with Paresh Rawal as his coach. Directed by Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra, the film was officially announced on the 16 of January in 2019 with its shooting and release being subsequently delayed in 2020. The movie is now scheduled to be released in 2021, but no date has been reported.
8. Bhool Bhulaiya 2
A comedy-horror, and a stand-alone sequel to its 2007 predecessor, Bhool Bhulaiya 2 stars Kartik Aryan, Tabu, and Kiara Advani in lead roles and is directed by Anees Bazmee. The movie had been initially scheduled to be released on the 31st of July but will now be shifted to date in 2021.
We hope you enjoyed this article! Let us know your thoughts in the comments below, and share this piece with your friends!
Anushka Chandra, Content Writer, Skyshot Media