Planning To Make A Short Film? Here Is All The Equipment You Would Ever Need!
Updated: Sep 26
Are you someone who is fascinated by the idea of telling stories through videos? You may want to start your own you tube channel or start a video production company where you tell stories for your client.
Whatever your reason for wanting to create a video, you will need some equipment.
While as a beginner level creator, all you need is a smartphone (with a decent camera), and we suggest you start with that, but if you are a professional (or want to become one), then you would want to use professional equipment to create those high-quality impactful videos. Treat this article as a checklist of all the things you would need in 2022 to make professional videos.
For your better understanding and convenience, we have divided them into four parts- Camera, Lights, Audio, and Editing tools. So, let's get started!
Camera: This category includes all the gear to help capture and enhance the footage.
1. Video camera- A video camera is an essential item in your video-making gear package. The type of Camera you choose will depend on the shooting you will do (Film, TV commercials, social media Ads), your budget, and the broadcast platform.
If you are planning to create social media advertisements for your clients, then a decent mirrorless camera with good autofocus and inbuilt stabilization is your go to choice. In 2022, Sony has arguably the best mirrorless cameras in the market, here are a couple of full frames mirrorless Sony cameras we recommend:
2. Tripod- A tripod is another crucial equipment that helps to stabilize your footage, making it look even more firm and professional. A tripod turns a basic camera into a better video production gear and improves the video quality. There is a plethora of options available in a tripod in different ranges. Here are a few recommendations to help you out:
3. Camera lenses: The choice of camera lenses will depend on the style, look, and type of video you want to shoot. For example, if you want to take a wider shot, you will need a wide-angle camera lens; for shooting funny situations, a circular polarizer can improve the image quality, or for taking close-ups of a flower macro lens will be required. There are a variety of lenses available. Get an interchangeable lens camera like DSLR if you want to experiment with different types of lenses. You can consider reading this article to learn more about different lenses if you are a beginner.
4. Video/Photo Camera Bag: To keep all your expensive gear safe, you will need something sturdy and weatherproof. There are various options available; you can pick according to your budget and the type of shoot you plan to do. Ensure the bag is portable so you can carry it to the outdoor shoot locations. a. Osaka TONBA TB786 Waterproof Camera Backpack Camera Bag b. VTS® Camera Backpack Bag
5. Motorized Camera Slider: Motorized camera sliders are used to capture tracking shots smoothly. It gives a cinematic experience to the final footage. Tracking shots are when the subject is moving in slow motion.
Here are a few recommendations: a. GVM Motorized Camera Slider b. SHOOTVILLA Curve-240 Motorized Curved Electronic Video Camera Slider
6. Gimbal-A gimbal is a camera accessory that stabilizes the Camera and helps get fine shots while walking or even running. There are wide varieties of gimbals available in different sizes for iPhone to professional Cameras.
Here are a few recommendations:
7. Drones- You can use drone cameras to capture videos and images to take incredible Hollywood-looking shots. Drones are great for all those aerial shots. If you want to know more about the types of drones that are there in the market, read this article.
Audio: This category includes all the gear that helps record and improve audio quality.
1. Microphone- Audio quality is essential for any video, sometimes even more important than video quality. Many people watch videos on a small screen while multitasking, focusing more on audio than video. Most cameras have internal microphones with great audio pickups, yet it is recommended to get an external microphone to up your audio game.
External microphones greatly improve the audio quality, especially when making video courses, live streams, or taking interviews. Several types of microphones are available, from shotguns to lavaliers and headsets. You can consider the following recommendations:
2. Boom Pole- A boom pole or boom mic is an audio recorder that records the audio from a crowd scene, group interview, or in conditions where you must collect professional audio rapidly. It is in the form of a stick you might have seen on a film set and is excellent for narrative films and home video studios.
Here are a few recommendations: a. VTS Extension Support Rod Flash Speedlite Stick b. E-Image BC06 6ft Carbon Fiber Microphone Extension Telescopic Boom Pole
3. Shock mount- A shock mount is used to keep the mic fixed on the peak of the pole and block all the rubbing or bumping sound of the pole when it is moving. It can turn a shotgun mic into a boom pole.
a. Brain Freezer J Universal Shock Mount Stand b. On-Stage MY410 Studio Microphone Shock Mount 4. Audio (XLR) Cables- Audio cables are XLR cables required to plug in shotgun microphones with your Camera if you want to record audio internally along with the video.
5. Wireless Microphone- A wireless microphone is great for keeping hands free while shooting. They can be clipped to a person's shirt or the speaker's chin. They don't have wires and come in two pieces, only a transmitter, and a receiver. One is connected to the subject and the other to the Camera or the audio recorder. They are best for walk-talk interviews or when the speaker is far away.
Here are a few recommendations:
b. DJI Mic
6. Headphones- Headphones are essential for monitoring the sound while recording and listening to the final audio while editing. There are various options available in headphones, and you can pick them according to your budget and usage.
Here are a few recommendations you can consider:
Lights: All the gear that will enhance the lighting quality lies in this category.
1. Camera Lights- Lighting makes a huge difference in the overall quality of the video. Lights expose the subject and add style and feel to the video. Camera sensors are getting better daily, and you don't need much extra lighting to shoot, yet having some additional lighting enhances the video quality.
When you get away from natural daylight, getting the proper lighting while shooting indoors becomes difficult. For this, you will need some additional light. However, getting the lighting right is not easy. You need to consider different types of light, such as foreground and background lighting, shadows, and equipment. Lighting equipment is expensive, yet several types of lights can fit every budget.
Here are a few recommendations you can consider: a. DIGITEK® (DCL-150W) Continuous LED Photo/Video Light DCL-150W
2. Lighting kit: If most of your video projects are indoors, you will need a lighting kit to create a well-lit set-up.
Here are a few recommendations- a. HIFFIN® PRO QUADLUHIFFIN® Photography 5 Point Lighting Kit b. HIFFIN® PRO Quadlux Mark II Soft Led Still & Video Light Softbox 3 Point Lighting Kit
3. Light Reflector- Light reflectors can amp up your bare shot into an incredibly lit scene. They are used to reflect light and focus on the subject perfectly.
Here are a few recommendations:
Editing tools: All the equipment and devices you would need to edit the videos to give them a final touch are included in the editing tools.
1. Powerful Computer- Computers are part of the post-production process that help arrange all the footage chronologically to make it the final video. Having a fast computer can speed up the editing process. Before making a purchase, you need to consider the built-in processor of the computer with a graphic card.
Here are a few recommendations that you can consider: a. 2021 Apple iMac with 4.5K Retina Display
2. Editing software-A fast computer won't be good until video editing software is installed. Video editing is the essential post-production process. It can make all the difference. From correcting the color to making complicated cuts, editing the vocal pauses to inserting some texts, and adding special effects, video editing software turns the video from raw to pro-quality. There is a dozen famous editing software out there. Most computers come with basic pre-installed editing software. However, you can install the type of software toy need for your video editing.
Here are a few recommendations that you can consider:
a. Adobe Premiere Pro
b. Final Cut Pro X (apple only)
d. Screen flow
3. 3-4 Extra Batteries- Extra batteries are suitable for outdoor shoots, especially with no power source. It's recommended to have at least two charged batteries as a backup. You can find many batteries depending on the type of equipment you use.
4. Video Tapes, Flash Memory Cards, or DVDs - You will need video tapes, flashcards, or DVDs to record and save all your shots and videos. These tools are compatible with the computer and even with cameras and microphones. Using high-quality SD cards or capture cards, you will never run out of storage space. Multiple storage devices are available, ranging in prices and storage amounts, such as 64GB and 128GB.
Here are a few recommendations:
The bottom line is that if you want to improve your filming game, you need to know about the equipment required for production. Video production tools are great, but you won't succeed in video making until your video has some powerful messages. Once you are done with the idea, you can use all the above tools to make a great professional-looking video. We hope this list will help you in picking the right equipment.
In case you want your story told but dont want to get into producing it yourself, connect with us on www.skyshot.in and we will take care of all the work.
Written by Anukriti Srivastava
Content writer @ Skyshot Media